Call us: Call us 0800 408 0000 / 0300 555 0121



Rent Arrears

If you have concerns about being able to pay your rent, or you have fallen behind with your payments, it is important that you contact us through your Housing Revenues Officer, as soon as possible.

They will provide advice on the options available to you and will discuss when and how you can pay off the money that you owe. They will also advise you of any benefits you may be entitled to receive and they are able to set up a suitable repayment arrangement.

If you fail to pay your rent you will fall into ‘rent arrears’. If you fall into rent arrears and do not contact us to arrange a payment, your Housing Revenues Officer will contact you. They will be able to provide you with advice on your next steps.

If your arrears continue to grow, this may result in us serving you with a:

  • Notice of Seeking Possession (if you are a secure tenant)
  • Notice to Quit (if you are a non-secure tenant) or
  • Notice of Possession Proceedings (if you are an introductory tenant)

These allow for a 28 day period in which to either pay us any oustanding amount owed or make a suitable arrangement to do so. If this is not complied with we will apply to the County Court for a Possession Order.

This means that you could lose your home if you do not pay us the money you owe at the rate the court decides.

If you stick to your repayment plan, you will not be evicted. If you break your repayment promise, we can apply to the County Court or a warrant to evict you from your home. If we take legal action because you owe rent arrears you will have to pay the court costs as well as pay back the arrears.

We will only do this if every effort to help you has failed. You have the right to appeal against this decision. If you are evicted for non-payment of rent we do not have to re-house you.

If you leave your tenancy owing rent you will be contacted at your new address to arrange payment of your outstanding debt. Failure to make adequate arrangements to pay your arrears will result in a County Court Judgement against you.