What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit (UC) has now reached Cheltenham and it is changing the way you apply for and receive benefits. It has replaced the 6 following benefits for working age people:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Child Tax Credits
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credits
How is Universal Credit paid?
- Universal Credit is paid monthly, in arrears, into a bank account. How much Universal Credit you get will depend on your earnings.
- Your circumstances are assessed every month and what you’re paid may change.
- If you and your partner both claim Universal Credit you will receive a single monthly payment for the household.
- Your first Universal Credit will be paid around six weeks after you make your claim.
- Pensioners will not be affected by Universal Credit.